In order to end poverty, fight inequality and stop climate change, the world leaders agreed on 17 goals for Sustainable Development in 2015 for a better world by 2030. All in all there was leaders from 193 different countries, all member states of the UN who all wants to contribute to a better world.
But what is Sustainable Development?
Sustainable development has been defined as development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. This includes three core elements economic growth, social inclusion and environment protections which is crucial for the well-being of individuals and societies.
17 goals and 169 targets
Each goal is divided into several targets, so if you want to know more what we should do to end poverty, goal number one, or reduce inequality, goal number ten, all you need to do is to go in and read the targets.
What can you do to help the World achieve these goals?
- Stand up against racism, exclusion, discrimination and injustice;
- Make conscious choices in your consumption, by local or fair trade or think once again if you really need a new product, maybe you can buy it from second hand;
- reduce the use of paper;
- Consume less energy by always turning the lights and computers off etc;
- Recycle, or instead of throwing something away, sell it on second hand or donate it;
- work and support for equal pay for equal work;
- Perform charity work;